I’m a bit obsessed with salads. It’s the first section of a menu I look to in restaurants. I love how many flavors and textures can be mixed into one bowl. Biggest bonus is that it takes a while to eat and all that chewing leaves you satisfied.
After a weekend where I feel like maybe I ate too much and maybe I was too motionless (hellloooo 3 day swim meet with morning preliminary and evening final events), I go to bed on Sunday vowing a week of salad. But it has to be good. I’m not talking iceberg and bottled thousand island.
Now that we are spoiled at our regular grocery stores with countless greens options, there is no reason to be sad eating a salad. No shame in the salad game.
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- feta cheese
- 6-8 cups arguula
- Saute the red onion in the coconut oil.
- Cook until caramelized, approximately 5-7 minutes being careful not to burn.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and remove from heat.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to bowl and whisk in mustard and olive oil.
- For every 1 cup of arugula, toss with about 1 tsp of dressing and 1 tsp of feta cheese.
- Adjust to your taste.
- Tossing ingredients with warm dressing causes the arugula to slightly wilt, so serve immediately.
- To make ahead: Warm dressing in microwave and toss with ingredients.
- Top with nuts/seeds. I used pipitas and sunflower seeds.