Mushrooms are on my newbie list. Maybe at first I was afraid because Alice clearly had some messed up things happen by eating the wrong side of the mushroom. It took me years to finally give them a try, but once I did, I was hooked.
I’m kind of happy I have so many foods that I have newly added to my “like” list. It’s fun to have a new food to experiment with, even if it isn’t actually new for everyone else. Whether they are in an omelette, in a soup, are served on top of a steak, mushrooms can make that basic dish a little more exciting.
The thing about mushrooms that I really love, is the fact that they can stand alone. They are one of my favorite appetizer options. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, popping a couple of these in your mouth as an appetizer is a choice you can feel good about.
This recipe is super easy. I used Boursin cheese to stuff them, which is a soft cheese with optional flavors. If you had to swap it out, I would use a whipped, flavored cream cheese.
My reference to Alice in Wonderland lead me to start reading quotes from the story. Over 150 years later, and still profound and thought provoking. Seriously, it is food for thought.
My absolute FAV line: It’s no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then. – Lewis Carroll
Make these mushrooms for an appetizer at your Thanksgiving. I promise that it doesn’t matter what side you eat. Trust me.
- 2 packages baby portobello mushrooms (8 oz each)
- 5 oz Boursin cheese (any flavor)
- 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 slices prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
- Fill each mushroom with Boursin cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a shallow baking dish covered with cooking spray.
- Make the crust- Pulse parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and prosciutto in the food processor until it forms coarse crumbs. (Freezing the prosciutto for a couple minutes first keeps it from getting gummy)
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, and add about 1/2-1 tsp. crust mixture to each.
- Return to oven for another 10 minutes, until brown on top.
- Serve warm.