There’s times when I need to check myself. Maybe a little reboot.
Maybe I’ve strayed from packing a smart lunch. Maybe I thought I deserved going out to lunch. Maybe I thought I could eat like my son with his 5,000-calorie-a-day eating plan. Maybe I thought that none of it would make a difference. MAYBE I was wrong.
This bowl always brings me back to where I want to be. I swear. This his how I reset:
*4 days of this for lunch (I feel like I deserve Friday lunch out)
By the weekend I’m wishing my skinny jeans were tighter. For real.
It’s the components that make this bowl magical:
- Super lean turkey breast
- Antioxidant rich pecans and herbs
- Detoxifying lemon juice and balsamic vinegar
- Optional red pepper flakes for a little kick
Sometimes a cold, crisp salad is perfect for lunch, but that’s kind of basic. This option of the slightly wilted kale and spinach makes it easier to consume 3 cups of cruciferous Kale and vitamin-rich spinach.
There is no chopping or kitchen mess with this one. One large pan makes the whole batch and then it’s divided into 4 containers for Monday-Thursday. It’s been my secret for quite a few years. My son was looking at my blog and pointed out the fact that I hadn’t posted in while. I’m always meal prepping and cooking, I just don’t always have the extra time (or lighting) for blog worthy pics. I had the time on Sunday and my skinny bowl is no longer just mine, but my gift to you.
This is kale and spinach. It is NOT a cheeseburger and will NOT taste like one. It all depends on what you’re going for. Personally, I want to prance around in my swim suit in this 100º++ weather. I mean seriously it’s like I live on the sun now. Anyway, I can promise that this bowl will fill you up and NOT fill you out.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 6 cups fresh kale (washed, stems removed, and torn into pieces)
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup pecan halves (roughly chopped if you want)
- 1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or use any combo of dried herbs)
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- Optional : red pepper flakes - I use about 1 tsp
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Lightly drizzle nonstick pan with olive oil over medium high heat. Brown ground turkey, breaking up into small bites.
- Once turkey is cooked, add dried herbs and stir to coat. Remove turkey to a plate.
- Drizzle another tiny bit of olive oil in pan and lower heat to medium. Add kale. Once it starts to wilt, add spinach and pecans. It's up to you how far you cook it down to. Since I will reheat mine I don't take it too far.
- Return turkey to pan. Add balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, tossing to coat. This is when you add red pepper if you want.
- Remove from heat and divide into 4 portions for lunch. Top each with fresh basil.
** Note I do not add salt. I feel this keeps the ingredients fresh and really find no reason to add sodium and it’s potentially negative effects.
**I store in glass containers so that it can go directly to the microwave at work. I reheat for 1.5 minutes on a lower power. This varies depending on the microwave.