I have issues ordering at a restaurant. I get all caught up in trying to pick something unusual with some of my favorite buzz worthy ingredients. More times than not, I look down at the plate placed in front of me, then look around the table and get order envy. I always wish I had ordered what someone else got, which is usually one of the restaurant’s no frills staple. It’s the simple, basic dishes that always come out the best.
Back in Chicago, every summer our church had a picnic and one of the food booths was run by our sister parish from the city. Their tostadas were hands down the best food there. Sometimes they would even sell out. I am not exaggerating when I say that I would fantasize about these tostadas several times throughout the year.
Sunday my food dreams lead me to make tostadas and reminisce about the old days. Pulling the kids in the wagon to the church picnic. Buying tickets for food and games. Listening to local bands play. Watching my kids run around and eat way too much sugar. Chatting with former teachers and friends’ parents. Laughing with old friends about past times. Wondering how so many years have slipped by. Tearing up as I write about it…
And this my friends, is what Perfectly Simple Chicken Tostadas can do for you too.
Try topping with Fire Roasted Peach Salsa
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ½ tsp. Turmeric
- ½ tsp Salt
- 20ish grinds of pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Season chicken with spices and salt/pepper.
- Heat oil in pan and brown chicken for about 5 mins on each side.
- Reduce heat, add ¼ cup water and cover.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 10 mins.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and adjust seasoning.
- Top tostada shells with chicken and toppings like:
- Shredded lettuce, Cheese, Sour Cream, Salsa, Jalapeño, Avocado, Cilantro, Onions, Lime...