Nothing gathers a family together like a warm bowl of queso. Currently, it is one of my obsessions. I should be embarrassed to admit that when I daydream, my mind wanders to queso.
It only takes a couple minutes to pull this together, and it is best when served immediately. You’ll have to come back in a couple days for when I share the reason I really made this queso. It’s perfect with chips or even on a spoon (I have no shame), but we can take it to the next level…
- 5 oz evaporated milk
- 8 oz shredded cheese (I used approximately 5 oz Monterey Jack and 3 oz Cheddar)
- 1/8 tsp - 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 4 oz canned mild green chilies
- Toppings: chopped tomatoes, grated cojita cheese, cilantro
- In a small sauce pan, spray with cooking spray and slowly cook chilies. The goal is to remove excess liquid without burning. Remove from pan and reserve.
- To the same pan, add evaporated milk and heat to bubbling, Stir in chipotle chili powder.
- Reduce heat and add cheese, one pinch at a time, whisking until smooth.
- Just before adding the last pinch of cheese, remove from heat.
- Whisk until perfectly smooth, cool slightly, and add about a tablespoon or so (slowly so as not to break the sauce) of the reserved green chiles.
- Stir until combined. Top with additional green chilies.
- Add desired toppings and serve with chips.