Every packed lunch must have a cookie. That’s how we roll here. I was forever in the habit of buying cookies at the grocery store. That takes about 5 seconds to do. BUT, reading that most cookies from the store have a loooooooong list of ingredients, I decided it was time I put my baking mitts on (?) and bake some cookies.
Dark chocolate and oatmeal- these are practically a health food. Remember to pulse the oats in the mini-prep. You have 20 minutes, you know you do.
A few years ago, I made a cookie recipe that started with melted butter. My mind was blown. No need to wait for it to soften on the counter then drag out the mixer.
Using a tablespoon scooper also quickly drops the dough in uniform sized blobs.
It’s just so easy this way! I’ve made quite a few changes and I might even be able to do this in 19 minutes.
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (8 Tbsp)
- ½ cup regular sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cup flour
- 1½ cup oats (Old Fashioned- pulsed in the food processor/mini-prep)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz bag of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter.
- Add butter to both sugars and stir.
- Mix in 2 eggs
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk to combine.
- Pour in egg/butter/sugar mixture.
- Stir to combine half way.
- Add chocolate chips and combine dough the rest of the way.
- Set bowl in refrigerator (5 mins) while you prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Also set up cut open brown paper lunch bags on counter for cookies to cool.
- Using a mini ice cream scooper (1 Tbsp), pack dough into scooper and drop on cookie sheet.
- Place 2 sheets in oven, rotating after 4 mins.
- Total bake time: 8 minutes
- Place cookies on brown paper bag to cool. This keeps the bottom of the cookie crisp and not greasy.
You don’t ever have to use 2 sticks of softened butter again. You’re welcome.
I have no idea where I heard to cool cookies on brown paper bags, but I do it every time I bake something. It’s one less thing to clean up because all you have to do is throw it away once they are cooled.