“W”is for whiskey and “W” is for a Chicago Cubs WIN in Game 3 of the 2016 World Series.
Did you hear what I just said?
The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series. For real. It. Is. Happening.
Tonight they play at home up on the North Side and I have goose bumps just thinking about it! While I’ll be cheering from my air conditioned house in Texas (seriously it’s still in the 80’s), my heart will be in Chi-Town.
A couple weeks ago, I paid homage to the great city of Chicago’s deep dish pizza. Today, I’m thinking of the West Loop area and Greektown.
Greektown is a few blocks of Greek restaurants, bars, bakeries, and cafes. While every Chicagoan will claim one restaurant to be better than the other and have a favorite, my opinion is that you cannot go wrong with your choice.
A trip to Greektown offers so many classic dishes to choose from: Saganaki, Pastitsio, Spanakopita, Moussaka, Avgolemono, and Gyros. So many choices!
Plenty late night food places offer a Gyros, but I want to make something a little healthier at home with all the same flavors. That’s where the Whiskey Gyros Sliders step in. I use whiskey because it adds a nice flavor and marries the spices with the burger . AND every guy loves eating something with “whiskey” in the title. So this one will for sure please the boys.
Let’s look to Nike, the Greek Goddess of Victory, and cook up a W.
GO CUBS GO!
- 1 lb Ground Beef (I always use Grass-Fed)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp fresh marjoram, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 7 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 pitas
- Tomato slices
- Combine all ingredients and chill until ready to use. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Heat olive oil in small pan.
- Add diced onion with a pinch of salt.
- Saute until soft.
- Add garlic and herbs.
- Stir in whiskey and let reduce to burn off alcohol.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Once fully cool, mix into ground beef and form 8 small patties.
- Salt and pepper sliders and preheat grill or skillet.
- Grill sliders 3-4 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Heat pita on grill and cut into fourths.
- Smear yogurt on each piece of pita.
- Layer slider with lettuce and tomato on 2 pieces of pita.
Don't want to use whiskey? Try a splash of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar instead.