I’m totally indecisive. I hate making choices, especially when it comes to food. I want the best parts of everything, so I put everything together in one fabulous brownie.
Brownies are pretty good on their own, and I’m not afraid to admit that I almost always use a store bought mix. It’s so easy and they come out perfect every single time.
One of my friends from home makes brownies from scratch. They are soooooo good. I’m sure she would share the recipe, but they are her thing and I don’t want to take that away from her. And let’s be honest, I’m never prepared with the ingredients.
Instead, I can kick up a simple brownie mix that goes from ordinarily delicious to unbelievably decadent. Totally geek to totally chic. It’s perfect to make this and show up at a party because no one will ever suspect that these originated as a plain old box of brownie mix. Not to give away all my secrets, but putting it in a different shaped baking dish than your standard 8×8 or 9×9 square also adds to that homemade originality.
When I use a mix, I ALWAYS use less oil than what’s called for, yet still follow the total liquid amount specified. For instance, if it calls for 1/4 water and 1/2 cup oil, I make sure the combination of oil and water equals 3/4 cup. You’d think I was a math major. Most importantly, I under bake them a bit so that they are extra gooey, because that’s how we like them in this house. Borderline salmonella risk, but it’s worth it.
Instead of water, I use left over coffee for added richness. Every knows that chocolate and coffee are a perfect match, which is why I end up grabbing a bite (or 6) of brownie with my morning coffee. A pre-made caramel sauce (all natural ingredients!) adds an extra gooeyness and caramelizes the chopped walnuts on top. A light dusting of sea salt and this mess of a brownie mix becomes almost famous.
So when you show up to the party with your non-square shaped Everything Brownies and you’re asked, “Did you make these?” The answer is-
Why YES, I made the EVERYTHING Brownie, and you’re welcome.
- 1 package brownie mix (Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce plus more for serving
- 1/2 - 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray. (Use 8x8, 9x9, or equivalent sized dish)
- Mix together brownie mix, egg, oil, and coffee.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Layer 1/2 of the caramel sauce, walnuts, then rest of caramel sauce.
- Return to oven for 20 minutes more, or until no longer jiggly in center.
- Remove and cool.
- Sprinkle sea salt over top.
- Cut into portions and serve with a drizzle of additional caramel sauce.