There are countless taco places here in Texas and they all have Queso. However, all Queso is NOT created equally. Some are nice and smooth and some are solid and gel-like. There’s some with toppings, some without. Spicy, mild, chorizo, meatless…
So far, our favorite is smooth and creamy with lots of toppings and NO meat. That’s what I’m going for with this recipe that uses real cheese and NO flour or butter.
The biggest problem is that it is shocking how quickly three of us polished this off.
- 1 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese ( I used cheddar and jalapeño jack)
- 3-4 dashes chipotle chili powder
- 2 Tbsp sour cream - divided
- pinch of salt
- Heat evaporated milk with chipotle chili powder over medium heat until it simmers.
- Reduce heat and add cheese about a ¼ cup at a time, whisking smooth in-between.
- Just before cheese is fully incorporated, remove from heat and whisk super smooth.
- Cool slightly, and add a pinch of salt.
- One tablespoon at a time, whisk in sour cream.
- Pour in a bowl and top with jalapeño, chilis, avocado, green onion, tomato, hot sauce, additional cheese, lime zest, or any other desired topping.
For extra heat, stir in jalapeños when adding the cheese.
In the event you have leftovers (?), be careful reheating. Heat slowly so it doesn't curdle.