Monday can be such a downer. After a weekend of swim meets and house guests, Monday rolls around and it’s cloudy, rainy, and just plain gloomy. As usual, my husband left for the week. We’ve had a bit of sad local news, which really hits home hard. I went for a run and the skies instantly opened up and poured down on me. I don’t mind the rain, but it does this thing to my hair that teases it as I run and it turns into a wet birds nest which is impossible to unsnarl without further damage. Now it’s Tuesday and it isn’t looking much better. I’m being treated to more rain and finally, Election Day. I need a pick me up.
On a day like this, I just want to lay on the couch and eat leftover pizza (I don’t have to tell you what channel is on). Instead, I get my act together and google “mood boosting foods.” While there is quite a case for just about anything, folate and natural minerals are biggies. Time to restore and load up on vegetables and spices packed with folate, minerals, and antioxidants. Since the temperature is (gasp) below 70°, I need to warm up with some soup while I lay on the couch and watch
Bravo CNN for election coverage. Are you with me?
I think chickpeas are my new hero. Fiber, protein, folate, and manganese are all packed into this tiny little chewy bean. Edamame adds more vitamins and minerals like copper and iron, which are mood and energy boosters.
Restore Vegetable Chicken Tortilla Soup = Good Mood
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 soft corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 14 oz chickpeas
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast
- Heat a teaspoon oil in dutch oven.
- Saute carrot and celery until softened.
- Add green onion, tortilla strips, and tomato paste.
- Stir in chicken broth, and add all spices.
- Simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Add zucchini, chickpeas, and edamame. Heat through.
- Add chicken and turn off heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with sour cream, yogurt, cheese, cilantro, lime, tortilla chips, avocado,etc.