Pretox for the weekend. No, I am not planning a bender. It’s just that the weekend has a way of slipping out of my grasp and spiraling out of control.
I need to at least start out with good intentions. At work, Fridays were always my “Special Lunch Day.” I started the weekend off on the wrong foot. It’s like falling of the wagon. Once you’re off, you’re off.
So amp up your body with antioxidants, digestive aid, and anti-inflammatories. One good decision may lead to another or at least cancel out a bad one.
Panera used to have soup with some of these flavors. Like they do with everything that I like there, they got rid of it. Give this clean tasting soup a try and start the weekend right!
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 green onions, white parts only, sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger (use up to 1 Tbsp)
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- Drizzle of coconut milk and chopped fresh herbs for serving
- In a stock pot, saute carrot and green onion until soft, about 5 min.
- Add ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Stir in tomatoes, turmeric, and stock, simmer 15-20 mins.
- Puree in blender (or use immersion blender).
- Return to pot and stir in quinoa and spinach.
- Adjust seasoning with salt if desired.
- Ladle into bowls with a swirl of coconut milk and fresh chopped herbs.