I fell in love with Pad Thai in college. My school was in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago and I had one go-to place for Chicken Pad Thai. By no means was there a shortage of Thai, Chinese, or Asian Fusion restaurants in the city. However, there was one Thai restaurant that had absolutely the best Pad Thai. EVER.
In years since, I’ve tried ordering Pad Thai dishes at other restaurants and ended up being disappointed with oily and sugary bird nests of noodles. Finally, I quit ordering it.
What’s worse is that some chain restaurants post the nutritional facts for their Pad Thai. Frightening. No WAY can I justify eating that. My food conscience won’t let me. Instead, I will share with you how I satisfy my Pad Thai craving.
- Chicken Marinade:
- 3 Tbsp Tamari (GF Soy Sauce)
- 3 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger
- 1 tsp Chili Paste
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Rice Pad Thai Noodles
- 2 cups Shredded/Julienned Vegetables (cabbage, carrot, sprouts, onion, pea pods, peppers, etc)
- 2 eggs- scrambled and chopped up
- Combine marinade ingredients (Tamari-Sesame Oil).
- Coat chicken with 2 Tbsp marinade.
- Add ¼ cup chicken broth to remaining marinade and reserve for sauce.
- Cook noodles according to package directions and rinse in cold water.
- Heat nonstick skillet with coconut oil.
- Cook chicken 5-6 mins per side.
- Let chicken cool, then shred with 2 forks.
- Add vegetables and noodles to the pan to heat through.
- Toss with chicken and reserved marinade/sauce.
- Serve in bowls with lime wedges.