As a younger and much cooler Tom Cruise once said, “Sometimes you just gotta say, ‘What the…
Yes, the first time I saw Risky Business was on TV. This was WAY back in the day when even saying “Hell” on TV was limited. One of my older brothers walked by as I was watching it and laughed, telling me that of course, that’s not really the line. I also missed quite a few scenes of the movie, so when I finally saw the real version I realized that the movie had a much darker side and was much more than dancing in underwear with Ray Bans. But still, the overall sentiment of taking risks here and there and living a little makes it a classic coming of age movie.
Monday, I needed to live a little. All day I stressed for hours texting my kids that under NO circumstances may they look at the eclipse, no matter how historical it may be. And no, I wasn’t prepared with glasses for them. I frantically answer NO, you may not take a peek. NO, you may not just glance up at it. I pleaded and begged and only they know the truth. It was stressful.
Summer is ending. Back to school is around the corner. I was tired. Simply put, my Monday was a downer and I was bumming.
Even worse, I packed a healthy grilled chicken and mixed green salad for lunch and that left much to be desired. As I drove home from work, I thought “What the F@#%! I’m making a big burger for dinner.”
Not just any basic burger. Not a healthy and light burger. Not a tiny burger wrapped in lettuce. Not a turkey burger that I’m saying is as good, if not better, than a real burger. DEFINITELY not a veggie burger.
I made Hatch Chile Burgers with a hint of lime on naan. Hatch Chiles are in the prime of their short lived season. With a little kick from jalapeño and lime, I pureed roasted Hatch Chiles and smothered my burger. Might as well go all in and add melty cheddar and crisp bacon.
That was Monday and this burger was my food therapy. Sometimes you just gotta live a little. You know you’re pretty lame if “living a little” is classified as eating a burger, but that’s how it is these days.
So break out the Ray Bans and be like Tom (on TV) and remind yourself that-
“Sometimes you just gotta say ‘What the heck.'”
- 4 Hatch Chile peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1 jalapeno, roasted and seeded (add as much or as little as you like)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Dash ground cumin
- Juice of half a lime
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 lb ground beef
- Seasoning for patties- smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper
- Thick tomato slices
- 8-10 slices cooked bacon
- Shredded lettuce
- Mini naan or buns
- Combine Hatch Chile sauce ingredients in food processor and pulse until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make 6-8 patties out of ground beef, depending on preference
- Lightly dust with smoked paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. (I just can't measure that- it's all about your own taste. I don't want to live in a world where I have to measure seasoning for burgers.)
- Grill 4-6 minutes per side or until desired level of doneness.
- Warm naan or buns.
- Layer- naan, lettuce, burger, tomato, Hatch chile sauce, bacon, then naan.