When you are blessed with lemons for 108 years (39,466 days to be exact), you make Good Luck Lemon Bars and take DOWN the Cleveland Indians.
My grandma, my mom’s mom, was a Cubs fan. She loved to hate them. They made her crazy just like they have to so many other dedicated fans. With a cigarette, an Old Style, and WGN, the Cubs were her pastime.
She also had an amazing lemon bar recipe.
There is butter and flour and sugar and it is glorious. It’s worth it. The Cubs are in game 7 of the 2016 World Series. This is what a dreams are made of.
Now excuse me while I run to the store for a pack of Merit 100’s and a sixer of Old Style.
GO CUBS GO! FLY THE W.
- 1 cup butter, softened (unsalted)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest (about 1-2 lemons worth)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut flour, butter and powdered sugar together like pie crust.
- Pat into 9x12 pan, going up the sides slightly
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- With a hand mixer, beat together eggs, sugar, flour, zest and lemon juice until smooth.
- Once crust comes out of oven, pour filling over hot crust, and return to oven.
- Bake 20 minutes more.
- Cool slightly and sift additional powdered sugar over top while still warm.
- Cut into squares and sift more powdered sugar.
My grandma made this in a 10x15 pan, which I don't have. I had to slightly change some proportions, but everything still came out ahhhhmazing.