Thanksgiving equates a whole lot of leftover uneaten food. You can’t tell me you don’t like leftovers. That’s how I get through the week. I cook a couple things early in the week to be reheated or repurposed for our weeknight dinners.
Early on in our marriage, my husband thought he could simply tell me he “doesn’t like leftovers” and that would ensure I came up with a fresh, new dinner every night. I can’t even begin to tell you my response, but that turned out to be a short-lived thought for my husband.
Needless to say, we’ve come a looooooooong way. Weeknights are stressed and packed with driving to and from practice and a whole lot of homework (not to mention the fact that my husband STILL lives in a different timezone during the week). I don’t have time for a diva in my kitchen. The easiest thing to do is repurpose something leftover and dinner is done in 10 minutes or less instead of 30 minutes or more.
Yup, I called my husband a diva. It’s not like I want to eat a boring dinner either, so there has to be a balance between convenience and taste.
We ALWAYS have a variety of tortillas on hand. They are the perfect vehicle for leftover vegetables and protein. They can reinvent any leftovers in the fridge.
“Do you want a small bowl of leftover cranberry sauce, a little cheese, and a cold tortilla?” Obviously, NO.
“Do you want a Cranberry Apple Cheddar Quesadilla?” Obviously, YES!
My favorite kind of recipe is this kind of recipe. There’s no measuring or shopping involved. It’s simply putting together what you have and creating something new.
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Pinch of salt
- Optional spices: cinnamon, ginger, clove, chipotle puree, sage
- Grated cheddar (or leftovers from cheese tray or any other melting cheese)
- Soft tortillas, corn or flour
- Cook apples, cranberries, and brown sugar for about 15 minutes.
- Add desired spices/seasonings and let cool.
- Lightly drizzle nonstick griddle or pan with olive oil.
- Layer tortilla, cheese, cranberry chutney, cheese.
- Flip when starting to brown and cheese is melting.
- Optional to top with diced avocado and lime.