My sister-in-law, Carrie, is the best baker. She makes all kinds of delicious treats that are labor intensive and sooooo worth it. Her Christmas cookie spread is quite impressive. She takes it seriously. A trip to her house over the holidays is an easy 5 pounds, but worth every ounce.
It’s not very often I actually
demand ask someone for his/her recipe. One bite in to Black Raspberry Chocolate Crumbing Dream Bars (I totally added the “Crumbling” part to make it mine) and I threw caution into the wind and made the request. Here’s the sad part- we won’t be seeing Carrie, my brother, and my 2 nephews this Christmas because Pittsburgh is no longer just a 3 hour drive away. I don’t have the luxury of Carrie baking for us. Pulling out her recipe card with her super cute printing on it and making these amazing bars makes me feel closer. Total cookie bar emotions.
Since it’s Christmas cookie time, I am taking the opportunity to channel my inner-Carrie and make this as my first batch. These are easy to make and I typically have all the ingredients on hand. I cut a little bit of sugar out of the original recipe and didn’t miss it at all. Crisp and crumbly with the perfect marriage between chocolate and black raspberry, these are your new crave.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup seedless black raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used a mixture of dark and semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a 9x9 pan with foil or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine crust ingredients with pastry mixer or fork. Press into pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- Remove crust from oven and top with hot crust with jam.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and topping.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.
- Cool and cut into squares.