An Apple Raisin Protein Cookie a day keeps the doctor away. Probably.
Start the the day with something quick, healthy, and portable. In the morning, I am chasing back and forth from the pool and 2 different schools. Instead of reaching for handfuls of cereal or granola and having no idea how much I’m really eating, I need to grab one serving of something that is filling and tasty.
Enter Apple Raisin Protein Cookies. Each cookie has over 7 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. One is perfect for a quick snack, and 2 for breakfast keeps me full until lunch.
Normally, I use my go to brand for plant based protein powder, but this time I bought Sprouts brand Vanilla Vegan Protein Powder. Instead of plain white flour, I use garbanzo bean flour and flaxseed meal, which are both available at the regular grocery store. I sub them into all kinds of recipes and they are really versatile without being overly pricey.
I toast the oats, but in a time crunch that step can be skipped. Toasting gives it that extra layer of flavor of yummy nuttiness. With only 1 tablespoon of honey, these aren’t overly sweet. The apple, raisins, and applesauce all add enough natural sweetness for me.
The true test to an unconventional recipe and new creation in my kitchen is my husband. His first bite is always quite apprehensive. Somehow I find it flattering when he doesn’t spit it out or gag. Chewing slowly, he admits they are actually good. Then he grabs another.
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 3 scoops plant based vanilla protein powder (1 scoop=20g protein)
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly toast oats in nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Cool and pulse in food processor to coarse grain.
- In a large bowl, combine ground oats with garbanzo flour, flaxseed meal, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in grated apple, raisins, and spices. Set aside.
- Beat eggs into coconut oil. Add honey, applesauce, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Using a double tablespoon scooper, drop onto greased baking pan.
- Flatten into 3-4 inch disks. Make approximately 18- 20.
- Bake 11-13 minutes.
- Cool and store in refrigerator.